Earthquakes and Oak Trees

"Yes, there is a Nirvanah; it is leading your sheep to a green pasture, and in putting your child to sleep, and in writing the last line of a poem." - Kahlil Gibran

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Famous Toilet Seat


Once, when I was young, with no thoughts of preschool or pediatrician decisions on my mind, I was in Rome, standing outside an art museum, convincing my friend we should go in, that it would be worth 9 euros (even though tha was about $15 US dollars with the embarrassingly weak exchange rate at the time) even though it might mean we would have to share a baguette for dinner, that this experience would nourish our souls...

And I said, "It's not like there's going to be a signed toilet seat inside." And she, astute with her art history knowledge knew I was referring to Duchamp, and because I made her laugh, she conceded.

However, I was wrong. Lo and behold, this was the one museum in the entire world blessed to house the most well known toilet seat in the world.

All that to say:

1) I wonder if I'll ever be able to go to Rome again.

2) Although mildly insane, I think Duchamp was an innovator.

3) Was his mother alive when he put that toilet seat in an art show?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home