Earthquakes and Oak Trees

"Yes, there is a Nirvanah; it is leading your sheep to a green pasture, and in putting your child to sleep, and in writing the last line of a poem." - Kahlil Gibran

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Bel Canto

I just finished reading Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. Loved it. Completely. It was the first book I have read in a while that was completely satisfying. For example, Memory Keepers Daughter (by Kim Edwards) was exquisitely written, perfectly ordered, unflawed in structure, with shockingly beautiful use of metaphor and symbol, however… it was so intensely sad that I sometimes couldn’t pick it up and continue reading for fear that I would totally deflate, crumble from the misery of the characters. I do not necessarily mean this as a criticism. The book was effective, believable and beautiful. I only bring it up to explain why Bel Canto was refreshing. It was as if a group of people had all taken off their cynicism glasses and everything became precious and beautiful. The group of people may have been a combination of hostages and terrorists, but who is more in need of some relief from numbness?

On my list of books to read soon are Kim Edward's The Secrets of a Fire King, Water for Elephants, and Blindness by Jose Saramago.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crystal, I've finally gotten
around to using the FEED function on various web sites. Since I enjoy your blogs, it's great that your "baby bulletin" blog has a "Subscribe to" function at the
bottom. I don't see a way to get a feed on this blog, however. Your faithful reader, UB

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home